mudcat.org: Who is/ are the EFDSS?
Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

Post to this Thread - Printer Friendly - Home
Page: [1] [2]


Who is/ are the EFDSS?

Related threads:
The Amazing Story of Cecil Sharp House (23)
No Summer 'English Song & Dance' EFDSS (4)
EFDSS Sunday Club (9)
Cecil Sharp House Health & Safety Alert (28)
Vaughan Williams Memorial Library & its importance (111)
EFDSS and the Carpenter Collection (36)
EFDSS awards funding for new music (61)
EFDSS: Alan Davey CBE as new board appointment (6)
Top International Award for EFDSS (13)
New Librarian for Cecil Sharp House (9)
Tech: trouble with the 'Full English' Website (32)
EFDSS Folk Song Conference 5/6 Oct 2013 (5)
EFDSS Full English (folk archive) web project (39)
Presidents of EFDSS (13)
VWML online: rare dance & tune sets (15)
Does the EFDSS need a new name/logo (76)
EFDSS The Full English (Folk Archive)Lottery Grant (31)
Alan James & Lucy Neal for EFDSS (2)
EFDSS has a YouTube channel (42)
New staff at EFDSS (11)
Vaughan Williams library gets MLA status (6)
EFDSS Arts Council England funding news (29)
EFDSS sacking of Nick Hallam - wtf? (200)
EFDSS and good business practice (72)
SoH Israeli-backed attack on EFDSS! (39)
EFDSS Advantages and Disadvantages (61)
Marketing the EFDSS - Job going. (81)
EFDSS Membership (14)
EFDSS and competitions (113)
EFDSS Presidential Nominations (9)
EFDSS May Fete Saturday 17 May! (1)
English Folk Dance and Song Society (efdss) 2008 (35)
EFDSS New Chief Exec. (133)
EFDSS Wins Heritage Lottery Grant (34)
EFDSS: 'Folk free zone' (149)
What's Happening with EFDSS? (200)
Review: RVW Library change - EFDSS (5)
EFDSS Role in the 21st Century (57)
EFDSS, MU, PELs (9)
EFDSS - should I join? (35)
BS: EFDSS leader wanted! (6)
Tune Add: Some more tunes (11)


The Sandman 31 Dec 06 - 09:33 AM
Anglogeezer 31 Dec 06 - 01:11 PM
John MacKenzie 31 Dec 06 - 01:19 PM
Dave Hanson 01 Jan 07 - 03:49 AM
Desert Dancer 01 Jan 07 - 04:28 AM
Billy Weeks 01 Jan 07 - 06:02 AM
Ron Davies 01 Jan 07 - 06:07 AM
Billy Weeks 01 Jan 07 - 06:33 AM
John MacKenzie 01 Jan 07 - 07:37 AM
The Sandman 01 Jan 07 - 08:19 AM
johnadams 01 Jan 07 - 09:02 AM
The Sandman 01 Jan 07 - 11:23 AM
The Sandman 01 Jan 07 - 11:31 AM
DMcG 01 Jan 07 - 11:35 AM
Fidjit 01 Jan 07 - 03:39 PM
Ruth Archer 02 Jan 07 - 03:12 AM
Ruth Archer 02 Jan 07 - 03:32 AM
The Sandman 02 Jan 07 - 04:37 AM
The Sandman 02 Jan 07 - 07:57 AM
Ruth Archer 02 Jan 07 - 10:31 AM
The Sandman 02 Jan 07 - 11:21 AM
Ruth Archer 02 Jan 07 - 12:16 PM
GUEST,Gonzo 02 Jan 07 - 01:55 PM
The Sandman 02 Jan 07 - 03:22 PM
DMcG 02 Jan 07 - 03:25 PM
The Sandman 02 Jan 07 - 03:49 PM
johnadams 02 Jan 07 - 03:53 PM
Ruth Archer 02 Jan 07 - 04:03 PM
The Sandman 02 Jan 07 - 04:42 PM
GUEST,Derek Schofield 02 Jan 07 - 05:45 PM
Ruth Archer 02 Jan 07 - 06:08 PM
Folkiedave 03 Jan 07 - 04:06 AM
The Sandman 03 Jan 07 - 05:19 AM
Ruth Archer 03 Jan 07 - 06:08 AM
The Sandman 03 Jan 07 - 07:42 AM
Ruth Archer 03 Jan 07 - 07:54 AM
The Sandman 03 Jan 07 - 08:02 AM
johnadams 03 Jan 07 - 08:20 AM
The Sandman 03 Jan 07 - 08:50 AM
Folkiedave 03 Jan 07 - 10:22 AM
Bert 03 Jan 07 - 10:41 AM
McGrath of Harlow 03 Jan 07 - 01:18 PM
The Sandman 03 Jan 07 - 01:45 PM
GUEST,Derek Schofield 03 Jan 07 - 01:50 PM
GUEST 03 Jan 07 - 01:58 PM
GUEST,Haughey's credit card 03 Jan 07 - 02:22 PM
Ruth Archer 03 Jan 07 - 02:28 PM
Folkiedave 03 Jan 07 - 02:32 PM
The Sandman 03 Jan 07 - 03:42 PM
GUEST,Derek Schofield 03 Jan 07 - 04:36 PM
Share Thread
more
Lyrics & Knowledge Search [Advanced]
DT  Forum
Sort (Forum) by:relevance date
DT Lyrics:










Subject: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 31 Dec 06 - 09:33 AM

4 aug 06      FOLKIE DAVE, corrected me and informed me that EFDSS,meant english folk dance and song society,that the english part only refers to the dance side,the folk song society when it merged with the english folk dance society in 1932,still remains the folk song society[and is not exclusively english ]therefore international,.can someone in authority at e.f.d.s.s. confirm this.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Anglogeezer
Date: 31 Dec 06 - 01:11 PM

Go to EFDSS which say

"The Folk-Song Society, founded in 1898, was the outcome of a number of individual folk song collectors and enthusiasts who wanted to share their experience and improve the quality of collecting and publishing. No geographical limit was set to the Society's activities, and although the main interest were the folk songs of Britain and Ireland, the Journal of the Folk-Song Society published articles from other countries as well."

regards
Jake


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: John MacKenzie
Date: 31 Dec 06 - 01:19 PM

Joking referred to as the English Ping-Pong & Prance Society!
G.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Dave Hanson
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 03:49 AM

Or as someone once put it, silver haired old ladies of both sexes.

eric


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Desert Dancer
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 04:28 AM

Aarrgh! Get over it guys! I can't believe the amount of old baggage people are carrying about that organization. From where I stand (as a non-resident member for the past 6 years and reading about CURRENT activities), it sounds like most of the organization has moved on, but too many people's perception of it has not.

How do you expect them to be able get anything accomplished if you perpetuate stereotypes that are 30 years old??

~ Becky in Tucson
post NYE dance here, and maybe about to finally come down from the buzz and fall in bed!


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Billy Weeks
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 06:02 AM

You need to have a pretty high opinion of your own achievements before you knock the EFDSS. Well over fifty years ago,I heard and saw Bert Lloyd, Ewan MacColl, Jean Ritchie, Seamus Ennis, Alan Lomax, Cyril Tawney and many others - all for the first time and all at Cecil Sharp House. The Society was doing amazing work before many of its critics were born. If you don't think it is doing great work today (and are you sure you'd know?) - join it and change it. But don't undermine it.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ron Davies
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 06:07 AM

I think the posters here are just poking a bit of gentle fun at it. (But maybe I'm wrong).


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Billy Weeks
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 06:33 AM

Gentle fun is fine, but I'm more concerned with an attitude evident in in a number of threads over the years that the EFDSS is not what real folkies like us are about. If we, of all people, neglect the society we shouldn't complain (as I think many of us do) that the English are dismally unaware of their own folk culture - except, of course, when indulging in the traditional sport of poking fun at(ho ho) Morris dancing.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: John MacKenzie
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 07:37 AM

It is a wonderful organisation, and does wonderful things. I too used to go to C# House 40 years ago when Jack and Margaret King ran the Cellar Club.
It has always, and will always have/had jokes made about it, get over it, there's no malice in it, well not on my part anyway.
It's 'The Establishment' for Christ's sake, establishments always get knocked, it's human nature.
Giok


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 08:19 AM

the reason I asked the question, was that I was corrected by John Adams[ Who works for the society]who said, it stands for English folk song.
Prior to my being corrected by folkie dave,that was my idea as well. however it stands for folk song[in the international context].
it seems to me that should [if it was marketed properly] give it a wider appeal,
oppurtunites for twinning, with whoever camden or london are twinned to etc,involvement of organisations like the British council,just for starters.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: johnadams
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 09:02 AM

Sorry, Captain but I'm going to have to correct you again. I don't work for the Society, at least not in the employed sense. I am an unpaid volunteer director.

Also, I am presently engaged in designing and managing yet another important new web site for the Society so please forgive me if it seems that I haven't the time (or the inclination) to react in detail every time you take it into your head to start yet another thread about the Society. It's just that I don't have the time and the inclin.......


Apart from that, Derek S replied to your question in another thread.......


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 11:23 AM

fair play to you for working for the society for nothing.
its a pity that you dont have the time and inclination,because as a director of the society, you should know that it doesnt stand for j English song ONLY.
the possibilities for involving all different immigrants and their songs, should be given a welcoming hand, they should be encouraged to come to the house,yes and it is the job of the society to reach out and encourage immigrants to come[ not just wait for them to hire the hall],why,because people from other countries, do not necessarily feel confident about making the approach,they are in a strange country,and when they come they need to be made to feel at home.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 11:31 AM

John Adams This thread was made 9 33am, before derek schofield replied[which was 9 34 am].


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: DMcG
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 11:35 AM

it is the job of the society to reach out and encourage immigrants to come...
Could be I fully agree with, ought to be is arguable, and I may or may not agree, because there are pros and cons both ways, but is is another matter, and that's up to the entire membership, not just you and I, or even the whole committee.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Fidjit
Date: 01 Jan 07 - 03:39 PM

Can someone please take Dick Miles spoon away from him.

Chas


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 03:12 AM

Dick, How welcoming is Comhaltas in Eire to the new wave of emigrants, their cultures and musics?

Just wondering.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 03:32 AM

DMcG said:

"because there are pros and cons both ways, but is is another matter, and that's up to the entire membership, not just you and I, or even the whole committee."

Actually, its not up to Dick Miles in any context, as he is not an EFDSS member.

I am, and I feel that (a) the kind of twinning Dick suggests would only reinforce the London-centricity that gets up so many people's noses already, and (b) regardless of what the Folk Song Society's focus may have been, the state of indigenous music, song and dance in England is worrying enough - the idea of EFDSS taking on some kind of multicultural brief would only serve to dilute its main role, which is about developing and preserving English folk dance and song (the clue's in the name, funnily enough).

Please don't misunderstand me: cross-cultural work is very important, and I've run loads of education projects with culturally diverse communities (and there's plenty of funding around for the organisations who wish to engage in this area). But EFDSS has its work cut out just in the area of English dance and song. If opportunities for working with other cultural groups emerge organically, that's great. But creating those opportunities should not be EFDSS's main focus.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 04:37 AM

Ruth,the difference between comhaltas and efdss,is that comhaltas quite clearly states what it is about,the preservation of Irish traditional music,it however on occasions has welcomed international dancers.
I am sorry, but the song side of efdss is international,therefore its main role is preserving and encouraging english folk dance and international folk song.
ONCE an organisation accepts grants [taxpayers money equals efdss sport grant]its not just up to the membership [taxpayers in theory or government should be entitled to a say].,although in practice it will probably be decided by the membership.
however I agree its not up to me as im not an efdss member or an english taxpayer.
if there is plenty of funding around for the organisations who wish to engage in this area,efdss members should be consulted on this matter and allowed to vote on it, that is only fair and democratic,.
creating these oppurtunities should be one of their aims, otherwise they should change their name, they are the english folk dance and folk song society,folk song being not exclusively English.
   just because I am not a member does not prevent me from having opinions,and it is my opinion that encouraging multi cultural folk song and obtaining grants AND INCREASING MEMBERSHIP[to others of different nationalities. is just as relevant as letting the society hire the house to ballroom dancers[IN FACT ITS MORE RELEVANT]because it is a folk related event.
efdss clearly needs[if it has to rely on unpaid volunteers]to get money from wherever it can,if the efdss membership reject oppurtunities like these,they deserve to go to the wall, that is my opinion, it is also my opinion that these oppurtunities should have been seized years ago ,but theN the society was definitely dance orientated
now with people like john adams and peta webb assisting the society[and well done to both of them for their unpaid work ],I hope my ideas might be given more seroius consideration.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 07:57 AM

apologies to all the other unpaid volunteers, working for efdss,I dont knoew your names but well done.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 10:31 AM

So if there's money available, EFDSS should chase it? Regardless of whether the money helps the society to achieve its core aims? Dick, that's nonsense. One of the first things we used to teach in Introduction to Fundraising (when I taught such things) was not to let the funding lead your work. Know what your objectives are. Know what you want the funding to help you achive. Even know which areas might be open to compromise. But NEVER change your core objectives to fit the funder's criteria. That's the cart leading the horse. It's reactive, non-strategic, and ultimately leads to an organisation with no clear aims or focus.

I understand that the "international" dimension of the Folk Song Society was chiefly to do with the other bits of Britain, BTW, rather than being a truly international remit. The recently-published annual Folk Music Journal demonstrates that this commitment is still upheld, as there are a couple of very interesting articles on Scottish music.

Change their name? They are the English Folk Dance and Song Society. Their cheif remit is about the preservation and proliferation of English folk music and dance. What's to understand?

You have a serious fly in your ear about EFDSS, Dick. I'd reiterate the suggestion that you join and help to change things. Or better still, try getting Comhaltas to open its arms to all those lovely new emigrants to Eire, with all their diverse folk musics. Surely they have ever such a lot to contribute to the new, diverse Irish culture. I'd hate to think that Ireland would perpetuate its cultural insularity now that it is such a strong socio-economic position. Surely the preservation od a mono-culture is no longewr defensible in the face of all the EU funding that has propped up the Irish economy...


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 11:21 AM

I disagree with your interpretation of international.
comhaltas are irrelevant to this discussion.
I have no interntion of joining,however my offer of 200 prize money is still on offer,be it for a traditional unaccompanied singing competition,or a song writing competition[but the money is specifically for song].
my repeated threads about efdss,have been an attempt to draw them out[ efdss] and publicise what they are doing[ there is no such thing as bad publicity],and efdss have benefited from this publicity.
the worst thing for efdss is for them to be forgotten about ,particuarly when they are in such a financial predicament that they have to rely upon unpaid volunteers.
I repeat well done, to all the unpaid volunteers,.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 12:16 PM

I haven't forgotten them.

I think they have always relied on a volunteer council, but also have paid employees. Someone may wish to correct me...

It's not my interpretation of "international", Dick. It is primarily how the Folk song Society itself interpreted "international" - or so I've been told by those closely involved in the society for many years. Of course, that was then. EFDSS, in incorporating the Folk Song Society, may not even still have such a remit on its statutes (again, I'm sure someone much cleverer than me could enlighten us).

You may feel that Comhaltas is irrelevant to the discussion, but I'm talking about the future of traditional culture. You live in Ireland. I live in England. I'm suggesting that if the preservation of a mono-culture is good enough for one, why shouldn't it be for the other? Irish traidtional music is, as we are constantly being reminded, in much better health than its English counterpart. So how can you suggest that the society entrusted with the preservation and proliferation of English traditional culture must adapt and become multicultural to reflect the society it sits in, thereby dilituing its central objective, while Comhaltas is allowed to perpetuate the notion of a mono-culture, which is increasingly irrelevant in contemporary Ireland? After all, if we're going to talk about justifying international public funding, Eire has had an awful lot of it, while at the same time being rather slow in embracing its new-ish multiculturalism. What a significant statement it would be if Comhaltas opened its doors to ALL of Ireland's folk cultures, helping them to feel at home and culturally valued...


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: GUEST,Gonzo
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 01:55 PM

Just a casual point, but is Dick Miles able to read or is he still coloring in his last Yuletide present?


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 03:22 PM

the thread is, efdss what does it mean.
If comhaltas is to be discussed,The correct thing is to start adiffernt thread.comhaltas are a red herring.
[there seems to be some confusion over the exact boundaries of the folk song side of the society],if it doesnt state anywhere in its statutes, that its aims are exclusively english,then its aims are the promotion of all folk song wherever it comes from.
the reason for this thread is for some clarification,folkie dave and derewk schofield say one thing,johnadams mentioned england, scotland, and was it the caribbean,in the efdss dances at the house thread,.
Ruth Archer assumes its other bits of Britain,[ Does that include the falklands, st helena ,etc].,its all rather unclear,if it does include wales and scotland[it seems like they have been forgotten about]


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: DMcG
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 03:25 PM

I'd go along with that interpretation, Ruth. Since the early days of the Folk Song Society and EFDSS coincided with a widespread British Empire, I would certainly expect more non-English songs from Hong Kong, India, Africa and other parts of the Empire than appear in the archives if 'international' really had the wide interpretation that has been suggested.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 03:49 PM

Derek Schofield says,the folk song society,was international in its outlook and not specifically english,the journal published a small number of articles about non english song,including a significant issue about gaelic song.
I respect Derek Schofield as a collector and researcher and have no reason to doubt the truth,of his research.
finally i,ll point out that this thread was started before Derek Schofield replied.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: johnadams
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 03:53 PM

To assist Ruth Archer in clarifying the efdss volunteer situation for Dick, the efdss is a charity run by a board of trustees of which I am one. Except in exceptional circumstances, the Charity Commissioners do not allow directors/trustees to profit from a charitable trust by accepting employment. The directors are then, to a man and woman, by definition, volunteers. I only have experience of this one organisation, but I assume this is so for all charities.

Additionally, it is quite natural for charities to attract volunteer effort. It goes with the territory. In most charities you will find a measure of volunteer work going on while the staff get on with core business. The efdss is no different.

Unless I am very much mistaken, Peta Webb is one of two assistant librarians employed by the society to assist Malcolm Taylor in running the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library. Please do not bring employees of the Society into this discussion by name. It's not fair when it's their livlihood.

Financial predicament? Sure the Society is not overflowing with cash but I think you are going too far to describe it thus. From where, in the published and public financial accounts do you draw this conclusion, Dick?


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 04:03 PM

I have a fair bit of respect for Mr Schofield, too. :)

In fact, it was he who told me that "international" in this context was usually used to cover the other parts of the British Isles - the ones that aren't England.

Unless I misunderstood him.

As he's currently writing the history of the Society, perhaps he's best placed to clarify (unless, of course, he's too busy writing the history of the Society...)


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 04:42 PM

fair enough, thats all cleared up, thanks very much,.
apologies to peta webb, I assumed [ my fault ]That everyone was an unpaid volunteer.
again, when I read about the poor facilities[described in saturday night sharp house Dances],I quite logically thought, this was because efdss could not afford to pay people to run decent facilities.
Glad to hear the society is not in a financial predicament[ maybe it was the statement about closing its doors six years ago]that gave me the wrong impression.
If you still need /or want my donation for a songwriting competition,the offer is still on the table,.
I wish the society all the best and hope, it goes from strength to strength.Dick Miles


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: GUEST,Derek Schofield
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 05:45 PM

My name has been mentioned once or twice here, so perhaps some clarification is needed. The original question, to which I replied in a different thread was about the purpose of the Folk Song Society. Following the merger of the 2 societies (song and dance) in 1932, the EFDSS was registered as a company, requiring memorandum of association and the objects for which the organisation was being established. Some of them are given below.

Remember, that these objects reflected the time when they were drawn up (1935) and - if you've ever had to do this sort of thing - you try and ensure that you are keeping your options open for the future .... the objects are therefore a statement of any and all the things that they might have liked to do, and how they thought they might like to do them, and does not indicate priorities, preferences etc. Indeed, over the years, the priorities have changed.

That said, the first 3 objects are the fundamental ones I think .... here they are .....

Memorandum of Association of the EFDSS

The objects for which the Society is established are:

a.        To preserve English folk dances and songs and other folk music (including singing games), to make them known and to encourage the practice of them in their traditional forms.

b.        To promote the knowledge and practice of English folk dances, songs and music by means of dances, schools, classes, examinations, lectures, demonstrations, festivals and other like methods.

c.        To promote and encourage research into and study of the origins, development and traditional practice of English folk dances, songs and music and their relationship with those of other countries.

d.        In furtherance of the above objects to promote, and co-operate in, demonstrations, festivals and other like performances of folk dances, songs and music of other countries, whether held in England or elsewhere.

e.        Also in furtherance of the above objects to prepare and publish, issue and make use of, for sale, performance or otherwise, such books, journals, records, reports, and other literature, and means and apparatus for the visual and mechanical reproduction of folk dances, songs and music as may seem desirable.

f.        To make, obtain and distribute, by sale or otherwise, instruments and other articles of whatever description requisite for the performance or practice of folk dances, songs and music in accordance with the above objects.

Derek Schofield


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 02 Jan 07 - 06:08 PM

So it's pretty clear that, whatever the focus of the Folk Song Society might have been, EFDSS is primarily concerned with indigenous folk music and dance.

Just like Comhaltas.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Folkiedave
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 04:06 AM

I'd say that settles it.

Thanks Derek.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 05:19 AM

thankyou ,Derek for your time.
clause c and d ,indicate that one of their aims is to promote songs and music of other countries.
I am not suggesting that efdss make this their primary aim,but it does have potential to be developed,and has the potential for bringing in new members from immigrant cultures.,IF EFDSS MEMBERS want this.
Ruth why do you want to keep comparing efdss and comhaltas[its rather like saying they dont do it, why should we],a good business man sees and seizes oppurtunitesthat others [in this case comhaltas havent].
COMHALTAS is irrelevant to this discussion,I have always understood that their brief is strictly the preservation of irish traditional music.,please correct me if I am wrong.
It would appear efdss is more international.
   I have no intention of joining efdss at the moment, however a donation of 200 sterling is still on offer,either for a traditional unaccompanied singing competition or a songwriting competition,I feel that my money is better spent in this way[ thats my prerogative ].


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 06:08 AM

*sigh*

The point I am tring to make, Dick, is that Comhaltas evolved because there was a perceived need for it: a society dedicated to the preservation of Ireland's traditional culture. EFDSS is exactly the same, and we need it now. Particularly as it goes through this important time of deciding its future direction, it is absolutely vital, IMHO, that its focus remains English traditional music an dance.

Cultural diversity is an issue which England has been dealing with a lot longer than Ireland has. While there may be opportunities for EFDSS to work with groups from time to time which represent the other cultures present in Britain, to make this a core objective would be to undermine the organisation's principle reason for existence, as outlined very kindly by Mr Schofield above: the preservation and proliferation of English traditional music and dance.

If English traditional culture were in a similar position of rude good health to Irish traditional culture - ie, a reasonably high profile in the country, well respected and supported by the government, seen as key to tourism - then maybe it would be time to turn attention outwards and think, "Right - we're fine. Now, let's see what we can do about collaborating with other cultural groups and actively seeking points of crossover and commonality which helps to shape a common identity." How fantastic would that be? But to get to that point, you have to be operating from a position of some security, and I don't think that EFDSS, or in fact the English tradition as a whole, is at that point yet. The reason I keep banging on about Comhaltas is that they are, arguably, coming from that position of strength within a robust folk culture - yet they do not seem to be embracing these opportunities for widening their impact and helping Ireland come to terms with its brand new, culturally dieverse identitiy. And in my opinion, they're on borrowed time: Ireland won't be allowed to carry on pretending it's still a mono-culture for much longer.

As Derek says, the objects outlined above are merely guidelines - things that EFDSS COULD do. It is not obligated to incorporate an international element. And as Derek also says, the first three are really the key ones - those referring to English music and dance.

I am not saying that I think EFDSS should remain insular throughout its existence, but I do think it needs to consolidate its own position before it actively takes on a brief of outreach. I think there are exciting opportunities for collaboration between diverse communities that emerge from time to time, and that EFDSS could embrace these where possible. for example, rapper sides have performed at Melas, for instance, which is an interesting opportunity for presenting Asian and English sword-dancing styles side by side. Perhaps EFDSS's regional partnerships, when they arise, could encourage these kinds of activities as part of their remit.

If there are business opportunities to be derived, Dick, I'm afraid I can't actually see what they might be. Most immigrant communities have their own community centres and cultural activities. Is there a particular reason that they'd be drawn to EFDSS?


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 07:42 AM

YOU SAY,Perhaps EFDSS regional partnerships,when they arise could encourage these kind of activities as part of their remit.
good idea.
the business side comes through increased membership.,and hopefully more use of the societies facilities[ its a mistake to think immigrants may not be interested in english folk song and dance as well as their own]
there might be a reason why they should be drawn to efdss, if they were welcomed,.
efdss has to hold out the welcoming hand[your idea of regional partnerships is a step in the right direction],their musical culture has to be respected and promoted[not as a core aim of the society but as a more minor aim].,
John Adams, said that efdss was not in a financial predicament,therefore it enjoys some security,WHY not start in this direction in a small way and gradually expand the idea,particuarly if there are grants available.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 07:54 AM

Because its resources, both financial and human, are limited. My understanding from previous threads about the Society is that it is focusing on reinfocing its core aims right now. Making applications takes time and effort. I think that it would be best served in applying for money - for the moment - that will help it to achieve its core aims. Once those aims are clear and the organisation is moving forward to attain them, perhaps it could look to new directions.

I'm talking as if I speak for EFDSS. Of course I don't. I'm just giving my own opinion. And I'm happy, as always, to be corrected by them wot knows.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 08:02 AM

fair enough.
oh by the way I am 3/4 ENGLISH 1/4 Irish have an english accent, and am an immigrant to Ireland,and have been welcomed by skibbereen comhaltas.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: johnadams
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 08:20 AM

Ruth A is quite correct. The available budget has been carefully prioritised.

The current activities have been formulated after many months of discussion and planning by people with appropriate skills and knowledge

The Society is happy with what it can achieve within its present resources and looks forward to developing its income and fully achieving its core aims.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 08:50 AM

john, ok I accept that.
I hope that clauses C AND D might be given consideration when the society is able financially to do so.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Folkiedave
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 10:22 AM

Any chance of that being the end of it?

Dave


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Bert
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 10:41 AM

And dont forget "The British Association of American Square Dance Clubs" and "The Society for International Folk Dancing"


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: McGrath of Harlow
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 01:18 PM

English people come from all over the place, with all kinds of ethnic backgrounds. And "English folk music" means, or should mean, the folk music of all English people.

In that context native English (indigenous/aborigine, call it what you may) traditions have a far better hope of being kept alive. Which is what I very much want to see happen, because I think it's a wondferful heritage and tradition, and one which can only benefit from being set alongside other living traditions in this country.

And all this actually seems quite consistent with the wording of the EFDSS Memorandum of Association quoted by Derek Schofield - though I suspect of it was being written today there might be more use of the kind of expression used in some EFDSS literature today - "traditional folk music in England", to avoid misunderstandings.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 01:45 PM

mcgrath of harlow.an interesting post.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: GUEST,Derek Schofield
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 01:50 PM

Captain Dick Miles wrote:
*thankyou ,Derek for your time.
clause c and d ,indicate that one of their aims is to promote songs and music of other countries.*

I am sorry to disagree, especially as you've said complimentary things about me, but I don't think that that is an accurate interpretation of clauses c and d.

c.       To promote and encourage research into and study of the origins, development and traditional practice of English folk dances, songs and music and their relationship with those of other countries.

This says it's the relationship with other countries that could be promoted.

d.       In furtherance of the above objects to promote, and co-operate in, demonstrations, festivals and other like performances of folk dances, songs and music of other countries, whether held in England or elsewhere.

and this one says that it may promote festivals and performances of folk of other countries, but in furtherance of the above objects. In other words, it is dependent upon such promotion being compatible with other objects.

Derek


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: GUEST
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 01:58 PM

McGrath of Harlow wrote:
*English people come from all over the place, with all kinds of ethnic backgrounds. And "English folk music" means, or should mean, the folk music of all English people."

yes, when I was involved in writing the EFDSS's Strategic Plan in 1998, (when I was a national council / trustee volunteer), I gained the approval of the council to include the following:

*The EFDSS recognises that the term 'English' when used in the context of folk music, dance and song, includes a wide range of influences. The folk music, dance and song in England have always reflected the country's cultural diversity. The English folk arts have also travelled to other countries in the world. The EFDSS interprets the word 'English' in its title as including the folk arts as found today in England, no matter what the community; as well as the folk arts which originated in England and which are now found in other parts of the world.   Following a long tradition within the EFDSS, there is also an interest in the folk arts of countries throughout the world. *

This is analogous to the use of the word "English" in the term "English Literature".

I have used this paragraph in the contributors' style sheet for English Dance & Song magazine, but .... I also have this sentence ...

*With just four issues a year, the Editor is obliged to prioritise in terms of selecting the content, and in terms of selecting the CDs and books to be reviewed.*

Derek Schofield


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: GUEST,Haughey's credit card
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 02:22 PM

Dick Head wrote: 'and I have been welcomed by skibbereen comhaltas'. Is there any chance of rescinding that invitation? Furthermore, is there any chance of getting Dick Head deported from Ireland? We really don't need idiotic blow-ins like him here as we've enough of our own.

Feck off, Dick, and take all the three-quarters Anglo-Saxon with ye!


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Ruth Archer
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 02:28 PM

I assume from your inclusion of the sentence from the EDS style sheet, Derek, that what you are implying is that indigenous English work still receives priority, but that the folk arts of other cultures are incorporated where possible. Is this what you mean? And is this the implication for EFDSS as well?

Sorry for asking that you be explicit, but that paragraph is actually quite significant and is open to interpretation. I'd be interested in John Adams's take on it.

By the way, Dick, I'm not even a little bit English. I'm an immigrant, too. And, like Comhaltas with you, EFDSS are perfectly nice to me despite my obvious shortcoming of being a Colonial. I suspect this is because we have both embraced enthusiastically the folk cultures of our adopted homes - why shouldn't they think we're lovely?


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: Folkiedave
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 02:32 PM

Excellent. No we have settled the arguments - let's have some good old fashioned abuse.

I think you are very patient Dick. Take no notice of that rude man. What does he know.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: The Sandman
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 03:42 PM

Thankyou, Dave.


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: efdss,what does it mean
From: GUEST,Derek Schofield
Date: 03 Jan 07 - 04:36 PM

Ruth wrote:
*I assume from your inclusion of the sentence from the EDS style sheet, Derek, that what you are implying is that indigenous English work still receives priority.*

yes - but don't ask me to say which bits are indigenous and which bits not ... the polka? French-Canadian tunes? Harry Cox songs like Black Velvet Band? Contra?

and then she wrote:
*but that the folk arts of other cultures are incorporated where possible*

yes ... see article about Scottish travellers in current issue.

and then she asked:
*And is this the implication for EFDSS as well?*

I can't speak for EFDSS as a whole.....


and more ... she said ....
*I'm not even a little bit English. I'm an immigrant, too*

come come, just because you were born in Northumberland, that still makes you English and David and the rest of the Archers have made you very welcome in Borsetshire, until your nasty experience with a rude cowman ...

Derek


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate
Next Page

  Share Thread:
More...

Reply to Thread
Subject:  Help
From:
Preview   Automatic Linebreaks   Make a link ("blue clicky")


Mudcat time: 29 October 12:41 PM EDT

[ Home ]

All original material is copyright © 1998 by the Mudcat Café Music Foundation, Inc. All photos, music, images, etc. are copyright © by their rightful owners. Every effort is taken to attribute appropriate copyright to images, content, music, etc. We are not a copyright resource.