Mudcat Café message #3898517 The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #162666   Message #3898517
Posted By: Steve Gardham
10-Jan-18 - 08:29 AM
Thread Name: New Book: Folk Song in England
Subject: RE: New Book: Folk Song in England
No problem, Richard. If we give a very rough estimate figure of the main published corpus from about 1890 upto about 1920 from southern England we're looking at about 3,000 songs. My 95% still leaves the 5% as about 150 songs. These can easily be sought amongst the published collections mentioned and there are plenty in the Hammond-Gardiner (Marrow Bones) series. Just look for those that have very few versions and are songs with an obvious local flavour like local hunting songs.

Other than that I have a good selection of songs from my local area I know were written by local farm labourers.

I have posted details on several occasions of an East Riding bothy ballad which was known to every farm labourer in the East Riding during the 20th century (and in surrounding counties) and there are 19th century versions. As far as I know the song has never appeared on street literature and seldom in other forms of print. It is a song we usually call 'Mutton Pie'. If you haven't seen a version there is at least one on our website www.yorkshirefolksong.net and I have sung it at TSF meetings. I can post it here if you wish. I did hear of a version with 50 verses which doesn't surprise me, but I never got to hear or see this version.