Mudcat Café message #208399 The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #20110   Message #208399
Posted By: GUEST,Rana
07-Apr-00 - 12:20 PM
Thread Name: Only in Canada eh? Pity!
Subject: RE: Only in Canada eh? Pity!
SOCAN is the agency that monitors and collects royalty fees for music which is performed either live and recorded be it radio, tv, club, concert, bar etc. We have to pay a SOCAN fee (which is a % based on gate) for the folk club I'm involved with. Basically, I suppose, and others could correct me, it is a like a licencing agency. For the life of me, I can't remember the US equivalent - that may explain this to all. The artist, songwriter etc should then eventually receive a cheque from the agency.

Trust this helps.