Mudcat Café message #1057386 The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #64600   Message #1057386
Posted By: Padre
19-Nov-03 - 09:40 PM
Thread Name: Falsetto
Subject: RE: Falsetto
Probably also need to differentiate between 'falsetto' and 'countertenor.'

The Harvard Dictionary of Music defines 'Falsetto' as "an artificial method of singing used by MALE singers, particularly tenors, to reach notes above their ordinary range."

'Countertenor' is defined as "Old name for male alto, derived from contratenor" - a third voice part added to the basic two voice system of descant and tenor in 14th and 15th century vocal compositions.