Mudcat Café message #1005842 The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #61474   Message #1005842
Posted By: Allan C.
21-Aug-03 - 09:48 AM
Thread Name: 2003 FSGW Getaway - ideas for program
Subject: RE: 2003 FSGW Getaway - ideas for program
Regarding Snuffy's question about what can be brought into the USA, here is the straight poop, copied directly from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website:

Tobacco Products

You may include in your personal exemption not more than 200 cigarettes (one carton) or 50 cigars or two kilograms (4.4 lbs.) of smoking tobacco, or proportionate amounts of each. An additional 100 cigars may be brought in under your gift exemption.

Alcoholic Beverages

Nonresidents who are at least 21 years old may bring in, free of duty and Internal Revenue Tax, up to one liter of alcoholic beverage--beer, wine, liquor--for personal use. Quantities above the one-liter limitation are subject to duty and internal revenue tax.

In addition to federal laws, you must also meet state alcoholic beverage laws, which may be more restrictive than federal laws. This means that if the state in which you arrive permits less liquor, wine, or beer than you have legally brought into the United States, that state's laws apply to your importation of alcoholic beverages for personal use.

Gift Exemptions

As a nonresident, you are allowed up to $100 worth of merchandise, free of duty and internal revenue tax, as gifts for other people. To claim this exemption, you must remain in the United States for at least 72 hours, and the gifts must accompany you. Do not gift-wrap your articles because they must be available for Customs inspection.

Food Products

Bakery items and all cured cheeses are admissible. The USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) publishes a pamphlet called Travelers Tips, which offers detailed information on bringing food, plant, and animal products into this country. Imported foods are also subject to requirements of the Food and Drug Administration.