Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
Charmion BS: Question about military rank (44) RE: BS: Question about military rank 16 Nov 19

Veteran here. In the Canadian Forces and other military organizations of British heritage, a retired person of any rank is Mr or Ms Thing.

On certain ceremonial occasions in military places and company, a retired person MAY be referred to by the last rank s/he held, with the qualifier (Ret). Thus, at a mess dinner where the Victoria Cross bearer Smokey Smith (look him up) was guest of honour, his place card would say, Sgt (Ret) Smith.

American mileage may vary.

Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.