Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
Bat Goddess Barrett's Privateers- Explicit Lyrics? (42) RE: Barrett's Privateers- Explicit Lyrics? 29 Jan 18

You need permission to record a copyrighted song.

"Is it legal to record a cover of someone else’s song?

When you record a cover version of someone else's song, you need to get a mechanical license authorizing you to reproduce their composition.

A “mechanical license” is the industry name for an agreement that gives you permission from a songwriter or publisher to record a song that you do not own the songwriting copyright for. The main situation in which a mechanical license would be necessary is if you want to write a cover song. But that’s not the only situation where you could need a mechanical license."

- From


Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.