Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
Gibb Sahib What are other names for the accordion? (110* d) RE: What are other names for the accordion? 13 Oct 17

Bandoneon is a type of concertina rather than a type of accordion.

Someone asked (way back) about Arab-tuned (24 notes to the octave) accordion. I used to play one in a Middle Eastern orchestra. They use the Western/12-note piano/keyboard layout, with selected notes retuned to half-flat or half-sharp notes. You might have E-half-flat on the black E flat key in one octave, whereas in the other octave it is E-flat. So, you just have to play your tune in whatever octave contains the necessary notes. They don't try to put in all of the theoretically possible 24 notes, they just select the more commonly needed ones like B half flat, A half flat...

Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.
   * Click on the linked number with * to view the thread split into pages (click "d" for chronologically descending).

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.