Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
GUEST,Graham Bradshaw Tech: What Licences please! UK (5) RE: Tech: What Licences please! UK 24 Mar 11

To answer the OP, in the UK, you need MCPS for the composition, plus for the sound recordings you need PPL (Phonographic Performance Ltd). The copyright in the sound recording lasts for 50 years, so the old stuff will now be out of copyright. All the early Cliff Richard stuff has now dropped out(1958/59/60/61), hence all the low price compilations being issued. The early Beatles stuff will start dropping out in 2012.

You do not need to worry about PRS, unless you intend playing the CDs in public, on radio etc. If you do, the person doing the playing will need a license from them.

This is a simple reading of the minefield that is copyright, but should get you sorted.


Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.