Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
johnross Tech: vinyl to computer (24) RE: Tech: vinyl to computer 20 Oct 07

You can order steel needles for your wind-up gramaphone from Kurt Nauck in Texas:

Kurt sells them for about $15 for 500 new needles. He also runs amazing collectors' aucions of 78s and cylinders.

Or from Victrola Repair Service in Vermont:

They sell them by the hundred, for $4/100 plus shipping.

In theory, you were supposed to use a new needle every time you played a record, but almost nobody ever did that, which is why the grooves on so many old 78s are badly beat up. At three of four cents a time, what the heck--you might as well get a packet of new needles.

Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.