Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
GUEST,T in Oklahoma (Okiemockbird) How to obtain copyright permission? (19) RE: How to obtain copyright permission? 09 Mar 00

In my strictly private this-is-not-legal-advice opinion, it is the festival's organizers, or the owners of the place where you are performing, who are usually responsible for buying ASCAP and BMI licenses. I think usually your group wouldn't itself need to license the performances. But much may depend on particular circumstances.

One possible approach: have a repertoire of public domain music ready. Then if you perform in a place or at an event which has no licenses (obviously you'll need to check beforehand), you can still sing without bringing down the thundering wrath of the copyright cops on yourself or anyone else. If they have licenses, so much the better: then you can perform anything in the catalog that they have licensed, as well as the PD stuff.


Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.